27.6.12

The Downward Spiral

How fragile our testimonies are and yet the scriptures tell us over and over again what we need to do to keep them strong. In the words of King Benjamin salvation comes to him (or her) that “trust in the Lord, and . . . (is) diligent in keeping his commandments and continue (s) in the faith even unto the end of his life.” (Mosiah 4:6)


How easy it is to let our daily problems keep us from the things we should do. Once we begin the downward spiral we don’t even notice the withdrawal of the Spirit. When my husband of 43 years died, I went into a comma, spiritually speaking. Oh, I came to church every Sunday, I read my Book of Mormon, and I did my visiting teaching but something was different. I said I was coasting but in truth, I was slipping. I finally came to the point where I thought about taking my own life. In my darkest moment, a sister called me. It wasn’t convenient for her to call me in the middle of fixing the evening meal and getting her children ready for a school activity but she felt prompted. I am forever grateful she was living close to the Spirit and made that call. Slowly I have awakened to a remembrance of the goodness of the Lord and the sweetness of his mercy. How I love Alma 17:2 where Alma the younger met up with the sons of Mosiah. “And what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord, yea they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth.” May it be so for each of us and for those we love. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.


No comments: